Thursday, September 17, 2009

Journal #2

Growing up in a small white dominated community like Rowayton , as a young child I didn’t experience different cultures or different races of people. Growing up I only met people that now I know were very high strung, rich, educated white people. My father always told me that Rowayton was not always like that. It used to be a town filled with blue collar hard working people.
When I first went to public school I got to meet people from all over Norwalk. White blue black yellow and green people all mixed in public school. I got to know these people because my parents raised me to not judge people but to be friendly. I was one of the kids who got to know everyone and most everyone liked me in return. I have always had a large group of friends, I always had people to hang out with or talk to.
When I reached middle school it was the same thing all over again, mixing and getting to know a new group of friends. When you get to know so many people you learn a lot about the way they live, the things they believe in, and the way they live their everyday lives. Like my parents thought me I never jugged any of them I respected them and their life style. I treated them the way I wanted to be treated.
Knowing the other kids who lived in Rowayton most of them were sent to private schools. These kids were different, they didn’t know how to talk to people they didn’t know. And when I brought my black and brown friends around they had no interest in getting to know them at all.
I could really care less about people’s culture, beliefs, or race. To me they are all just people, like you and me. Working to live their lives here in the melting pot we call our home. I hope to teach my kids the same way I was thought, love and respect everyone unless they hate or disrespect you.

No comments:

Post a Comment